Using Laser to Treat UTUC
A French study from 2003-2015 of 92 consecutive UTUC patients treated w/ ureteroscopic laser
- 9UTUC treated with laser showed the only predictor of progression free survivial was tumor grade at first treatment.
- Lesions >1cm and multifocality did not predict progression free survival.
- Initially 112 consecutive UTUC patients were evaluated, 20 were excluded because 9 had high grade tumor after first endoscopic treatment and 11 had malignant lesions.
- 11 patients had to have the initial laser ureteroscopy stopped and a second look 4-6 weeks later due to bleeding
- Approximately 1/2 had tumor >1cm and 1/2 had multifocal lesions
- 14.1% had high grade tumors
- Progression free survival was respectively 75% and 52% for low and high grade tumors; 72% and 69% for unifocal and multifocal; and 68% and 72% for <1cm and >1cm.
- 76% of patients had recurrence
- 8.7% developed metastatic disease
- 22.8% went on to have nephroureterectomy